Monday, August 23, 2010

Character of the Week

I've been reading ConceptArt.org for...God, like six years now. I'm on my third username, which is my actual name, because I got tired of having a silly nickname and I figured the last thing I wanted to do was to make it harder for people on the Internet to connect me to my art.

Anyway, I haven't had much luck with CA's weekly challenges. I consider it a victory if I can garner a single vote, and that's in comparatively sparsely-contested sections like Industrial Design and Environment of the week. I haven't ever submitted a final image to Character of the Week.

Until now.

The challenge this week is Aladdin, the thievin, genie-finding street-rat. I knew vaguely of the character and story apart from the Disney movie, but the first thing that popped into my head was "Future parkour-hacker Aladdin", partly because of this awesome image from my reference folder that I've been itching to use, and partly because Disney Aladdin is the OG parkour master.

I posted this sketch and got the go-ahead for the future setting....



And then I went to work. Here's my work-in-progress image that CA had me make...



And here's the final...



I'm really excited about this contest, and I think that this piece is one of the strongest I've ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment