Saturday, March 10, 2012

3-10-12


The first part of the twelve-part series that is The Month of Weapons is finished! I give you the Nemesis 10, Kovac's primary weapon in Altered Carbon:



I don't have the book in front of me, but I've read the thing so many times and am such a huge dork for techy-writing, that I remember the salient details pretty well. The Nemesis 10, or Nemex is a big-boy gun, holding 18 rounds in a double-stacked magazine and firing a big slug using a new propellant. Using the concept of a powerful propellant as a starting point, I began with the combustion chamber, located in between the trigger and the cartridge. I gave the barrel assembly lots of reenforcing to handle the powerful detonation of the round, and a muzzle brake up front to compensate for recoil. The only moving parts are located in the slide, which is sort of fudged but it's set 500 years in the future, so I'm okay with it.

Moving on to Kovacs' second weapon, the Phillips gun:



A slim, grey pistol half the size of the Nemex (making it roughly analogous to a modern compact or sub-compact), the Phillips gun uses a pair of magnetic rails to accelerate a steel dart to lethal velocities, and does so silently. The battery is located in front of the trigger guard, and the only functions are safe and fire. I'll freely admit to altering this one from the original text, as the book describes a reverse fuction on the magnets, allowing the user to pull darts out afterword, but I feel that is too unrealistic, even for 500 future-years.

No comments:

Post a Comment